This super easy Cinnamon Roll Cake recipe will blow the socks off your next Breakfast. Serve it for out of town guests, holiday mornings, or prep ahead of time for a sweet Brunch treat!
(This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my Disclaimer for more information)
In the Wise household, we are a family divided… over breakfast.
Aubrey & I are total fans of sweet dishes while Owen & Jordan always prefer savory ones like eggs & sausage. Sorry guys, but today I’m sharing a really easy but yummy sweet dish that is PERFECT for making ahead of time for a lazy Sunday morning or holiday breakfast.
…and a really great benefit of this recipe? If you have a blooming baker in your household, they can make this almost completely by themselves. With Aubrey’s interest in Chopped Kids and other Baking shows, she has really been interested in learning more about recipes that she can make with minimal intervention from us.
This is one of them!
We will happily help her with moving the cake in & out of the oven, but it’s fun to watch her learn how to make a recipe from start to finish.
Making The Batter
I love to save time and this recipe uses white cake mix to skip pulling out the flour, baking powder & soda, salt, and sugar from the pantry. You’ll use more ingredients from the refrigerator, but please do not skip the sour cream part. Sour Cream transforms the white cake mix from ‘pretty good‘ to downright amazing.
Other Posts I know That You Will Love:
The Cinnamon Swirl
Once you have your batter poured into the pan, it’s time to mix-in the cinnamon filling. Ever experience times when you just don’t have enough cinnamon to spread throughout a cake? I really dislike that, too.
You won’t have that problem here with this recipe.
There is plenty of cinnamon mixture to spread throughout the entire batch ensuring that every piece has a cinnamon roll taste.
Have little hands that want to help you bake?
This is a great spot to have them help drag a butter knife or toothpicks to help make a pretty design.
Adding The Cream Cheese Glaze
If you’re going all-in on this cinnamon roll cake, you need more than just powdered sugar!
(Not a fan of cream cheese? You could use a thin version of this buttercream icing instead!)
Once the cake has baked, whisk together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Pour your glaze over the warm cake and serve.
Not serving the entire cake? I would portion out the cake and pour the glaze on each portion. This will allow you to store the cake and glaze separately. When you heat up the cake later, add a dollop of glaze onto the top before popping it into the microwave!
You can store this cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days, but in my house, it won’t last more than a day!
- Cake Base:
- 1 box white cake mix
- ½ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2oz cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 9x13 pan with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add white cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, milk eggs, and mix until well combined, then spread batter evenly into your baking dish.
For the Filling:
- In a small bowl, add butter, cinnamon, sugar, and stir until well combined. Drop dollops of the cinnamon filling into the cake batter, then using a butter knife, swirl it to incorporate the two.
- Bake the cake for about 30 minutes (I baked it for about 33 minutes in my oven), until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean
For the Glaze:
- Whisk together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the glaze over the warm cake and serve.
- Mix eggs in a small bowl before adding them to the cake mixture. This will help distribute the eggs evenly.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 3g
Made the cake? Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram or Facebook @ourhomemadeeasy!
PIN FOR LATER: